CSA connects people who design, lead, manage, and study citizen science to exchange knowledge, identify shared concerns, and advance innovative work. We partner with sister organizations on other continents to engage a global conversation about public participation in scientific research. CSA brings depth to how citizen science is understood both as public engagement and as research, and shines a light on the integrity and complexity of the practice.
Many people join CSA to become part of the movement to advance this field. Others join to meet and learn from new colleagues or collaborators. Still others are interested in events and activities offered uniquely for members.
From all members, we hear that CSA is a community to call home – a place where you will be welcomed and encouraged to engage in cross-cutting conversations that you won’t find in any other organization. We hope you share your expertise with us and will join us in elevating the field of citizen science.
What CSA offers you as a member:
As a member of CSA, you will have unique access to a broad network of citizen science practitioners from around the globe, sharing insights from the many perspectives that are necessary for these projects to thrive. You can build your professional network and shape the future of the field by joining working groups that advance cross-cutting issues. Members drive the direction and priorities of CSA through input into key decisions. As a member, you will also receive discounts and special access to online and in person events such as our biennial conference, webinars, workshops, and online courses, as well as reduced fees to publish in CSA’s journal, Citizen Science : Theory and Practice.
Benefits of CSA membership include:
- Connections: As a member of CSA, you will be connected to a dedicated community of citizen science practitioners, researchers, and facilitators through an online platform called CSA Connect, and through virtual events, in-person conferences, and more. Your activity in the CSA Connect site will be linked to your member profile where you can opt in to share more about your work and interests, and message others directly through a member directory.
- Communication: You will receive advanced notice about events and opportunities happening within the association and across the field through member-exclusive notifications, newsletters, and job postings.
- Professional Development: Develop your skills and advance your career by taking part in online and in-person educational offerings and events including conferences, workshops, and short courses.
- Leadership: Grow as a leader in the field through peer mentorship, chairing a working group, or serving on the CSA Board of Directors. CSA members are influential in establishing CSA’s Board members, with annual calls for nominations*.
- Discounts: CSA members enjoy discounts on our online and in person events and conferences and reduced fees to publish in our journal, Citizen Science: Theory and Practice.
- Visibility: Demonstrate your organization’s commitment to the field of citizen science by becoming a CSA Affiliate. CSA Affiliate organizations can access bundles of discounted memberships for individuals in their organization, have their organization recognized on the CSA website, share with CSA members on the CSA Connect site, and offer one skills-based webinar per year.
*Board nominations are open to anyone in the community. Only active CSA members can serve on the CSA board of directors.
Click logos below to learn more about our organizational affiliates. Join as a CSA Affiliate to showcase your organization’s leadership in the field and access bundles of memberships- details here.