CSA connects people who design, lead, manage, and study citizen science to exchange knowledge, identify shared concerns, and advance innovative work. We partner with sister organizations on other continents to engage a global conversation about public participation in scientific research. CSA brings depth to how citizen science is understood both as public engagement and as research, and shines a light on the integrity and complexity of the practice.
Many people join CSA to become part of the movement to advance this field. Others join to meet and learn from new colleagues or collaborators. Still others are interested in events and activities offered uniquely for members.
From all members, we hear that CSA is a community to call home – a place where you will be welcomed and encouraged to engage in cross-cutting conversations that you won’t find in any other organization. We hope you share your expertise with us and will join us in elevating the field of citizen science.
What CSA offers you as a member:
As a member of CSA, you will have unique access to a broad network of citizen science practitioners from around the globe, sharing insights from the many perspectives that are necessary for these projects to thrive. You can build your professional network and shape the future of the field by joining working groups that advance cross-cutting issues. Members drive the direction and priorities of CSA through input into key decisions. As a member, you will also receive discounts and special access to online and in person events such as our biennial conference, webinars, workshops, and online courses, as well as reduced fees to publish in CSA’s journal, Citizen Science : Theory and Practice.
Benefits of CSA membership include:
- Connections: As a member of CSA, you will be connected to a dedicated community of citizen science practitioners, researchers, and facilitators through an online platform called CSA Connect, and through virtual events, in-person conferences, and more. Your activity in the CSA Connect site will be linked to your member profile where you can opt in to share more about your work and interests, and message others directly through a member directory.
- Communication: You will receive advanced notice about events and opportunities happening within the association and across the field through member-exclusive notifications, newsletters, and job postings.
- Professional Development: Develop your skills and advance your career by taking part in online and in-person educational offerings and events including conferences, workshops, and short courses.
- Leadership: Grow as a leader in the field through peer mentorship, chairing a working group, or serving on the CSA Board of Directors. CSA members are influential in establishing CSA’s Board members, with annual calls for nominations*.
- Discounts: CSA members enjoy discounts on our online and in person events and conferences and reduced fees to publish in our journal, Citizen Science: Theory and Practice.
- Visibility: Demonstrate your organization’s commitment to the field of citizen science by becoming a CSA Affiliate. CSA Affiliate organizations can access bundles of discounted memberships for individuals in their organization, have their organization recognized on the CSA website, share with CSA members on the CSA Connect site, and offer one skills-based webinar per year.
*Board nominations are open to anyone in the community. Only active CSA members can serve on the CSA board of directors.
Applications for membership to the Association will be administered on a continual (rolling) basis throughout the year. The following fees will be applied annually for members joining as an individual (as opposed to via their organization’s affiliation. For information about Affiliate organization, see the next section).
|Annual Membership Dues:||Appropriate Rate For:|
|$119||Individuals earning over $60,000 annually, or if you are able to charge this membership to an employer with an annual budget greater than $200,000.|
|$69||Individuals earning between $30,000 and $60,000 annually, or if you are able to charge this membership to an employer with an annual budget less than $200,000.|
|$39||Individuals earning less than $30,000 annually, or if you are a Student, Environmental Justice Practitioner, Indigenous Practitioner, Veteran, Retiree, and/or a Youth Educator in formal K-12 or Afterschool Settings|
|$0||Environmental Justice or Social Justice Practitioners leading projects on a voluntary basis.|
CSA Affiliate Rates
Organizations can show their support for CSA, and access bundles of discounted memberships for individuals in their organization, by becoming a CSA Affiliate.
|Category/description||Annual Subscription||# individual memberships included|
|Environmental Justice or Social Justice organization||$100||5|
|Non-profit/Government/Educational||$400 base rate||5 total
(a $119 membership value for $80 each, plus affiliate organization benefits, a 33% discount)
($1190 value, a 37% discount)
($1,785 value, a 41% discount)
($2,975 value, a 50% discount)
|Institutional||Talk to us about specialized packages for more than 25 individuals and accompanying affiliate benefits.|
|Corporate||Talk to us about specialized packages for corporations of any size.|
Inclusive Membership for All
CSA is committed to inclusive and equitable access to membership. If you are unable to pay membership dues as a result of financial hardship, complications due to monetary transfer across countries, or for another reason (e.g., we refer to this list of countries eligible for fee waivers), please email the Membership Committee describing your circumstances (email@example.com). Your request will be reviewed as soon as possible.
A discount is available for any category (20%) if the individual is an active member of the European Citizen Science Association (ECSA), the Australian Citizen Science Association (ACSA), or any other organization with which the Citizen Science Association has an MOU or formal collaboration/partnership. Your respective Association can provide you with a promo code for discounts – or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
If you believe you qualify for a discounted membership not noted here, please contact the Citizen Science Association Membership Committee (at email@example.com).
Member Terms and Conditions:
A member shall be entitled to all of the benefits available for a twelve-month period, commencing on the date of the Member’s enrollment. Members can renew their membership during or after the membership term by forwarding the relevant fee to the Association. The Association reserves the right to change or cancel the terms and conditions of this policy at any time, with or without notice to any Member.
Automated reminders will be sent to members to pay their annual dues beginning 30 days before 12 months has passed. Reminders will continue to be sent on a regular basis until the renewal date, and up to one year after the renewal date for each member if dues have not been paid. However, member privileges will be revoked 30 days after the renewal date has passed.