To all CSA members and supporters, via the CSA Membership Committee:
The Citizen Science Association (CSA) was established in 2014 with the vision of a world where people understand, value, and participate in science. So far, over 5,000 members from 81 countries have indicated their support for CSA and this vision by signing up for a complimentary membership. Our members participate in citizen science in both paid and volunteer roles, and represent program managers, participants, researchers, evaluators, associated scientists, data managers, educators, and many others. Together, we represent a multitude of disciplinary fields, types and models of citizen science, and diversity of thought and knowledge.
While CSA membership was initially complimentary, our Board of Directors recently voted to transition to a paid membership dues structure to better advance our vision and serve our growing community.
The CSA actively works to:
- Establish a global community of practice for citizen science.
- Advance the field of citizen science through innovation and collaboration.
- Promote the value and impact of citizen science.
- Provide access to tools and resources that further best practice.
- Support communication and professional development services.
- Foster diversity and inclusion within the field.
Our accomplishments to date include:
- Defining articles of incorporation and bylaws.
- Establishing an initial Board of Directors, as well as processes to elect new board members.
- Hosting the first international citizen science conference in San Jose, CA, in February 2015.
- Launched the open-access journal, Citizen Science: Theory & Practice.
- Developing and facilitating Citizen Science Day.
- Planning for a vibrant conference in St. Paul, MN, in May 2017.
In the coming months, members will be required to pay a fee either individually or through their institution to support our vision and ensure that the CSA continues to grow and thrive. We will be sharing more information on how these new membership fees will support the CSA and our membership in the coming weeks. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to the CSA Membership Committee at email@example.com with any questions, comments, or concerns.
Posted on: November 8, 2016 | Category: Blog