Adventure Scientists has sent thousands of volunteers on missions to collect data from remote, difficult-to-access locations for our conservation partners. These partnerships have led to the discovery of more than three dozen new species, provided key information to guide management decision-making, and helped protect threatened wildlife habitat around the world.
We equip partners with data collected from the outdoors that are crucial to unlocking solutions to the world’s environmental challenges. By specifically leveraging the skills of the outdoor community, our volunteer network is capable of collecting data at any scale, in any environment. We rely on the outdoor adventure community because they (1) pay close attention to detail, (2) are creative problem solvers, (3) are able to share their experiences via the rich tradition of storytelling that is at the heart the outdoor community.
We think of each new project as an investment and we vet each project to ensure that there is a conservation issue in which finding a solution has previously been data limited, that there is a tangible change that is likely to happen as a result of our work, and that that there is a clear need for our network.
Our staff is comprised of mountaineers, climbers, kayakers, bikers and trail runners who value creativity, optimism, and persistence in the office and in the outdoors.
The Program Director will report to and work closely with the Executive Director to oversee Adventure Scientists’ active projects as well as a team of project managers. We are seeking a passionate, creative, organized, and flexible citizen science professional who is comfortable doing a wide variety of tasks in a fast-paced office environment.
- Strong communication skills and experience in project management are critical given our strong desire that this person be a recognized leader and expert in the field of citizen science.
- Oversee a portfolio of complex projects to engage the outdoor community in hands-on, field-based science
- Ensure the successful execution of all projects from implementation to conclusion
- Build and sustain multiple working partnerships with agencies, nonprofits, universities, government, volunteers and other strategic partners
- Supervise project management staff
- Oversee and guide the recruitment, training and management of volunteers
- Work in partnership with other team members to fundraise for projects by writing proposals, grants and appealing to private donors
- Write project summaries and reports
- Represent Adventure Scientists at events and conferences
- Research the latest trends in the citizen science field for best practices
- Serve on the Senior Leadership Team and assist the Executive Director in developing longterm strategic plans that set specific organizational goals and strategies
- Graduate degree in citizen science, biology, ecology, policy, natural resources and/or a related field with 4-plus years practical work experience in citizen science or volunteer management
- Experience in contributing to the development, progress and valuation in the field of citizen science is strongly preferred
- Experience in project management including conceiving, designing, launching, leading, and reporting on field-based projects
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions with limited information or under changing circumstances
- The ability to communicate complex scientific research in a compelling way to a wide variety of audiences
- Strong computer skills and the ability to learn and utilize new programs quickly
- Experience with using technology in the field as a data collection tool • Extensive outdoor experience and skills
- Desire and ability to travel
- Creative problem solving ability demonstrated in the field, office, and life
- The desire to join a fast paced, dynamic nonprofit organization
Work Schedule & Compensation
This is a full-time, office-based position with frequent travel. Occasional work on weekends and at night should be expected. Salary is negotiable depending on experience. This position is based in Bozeman, Montana at the Adventure Scientists headquarters.